Thursday, March 12, 2015

Kailangang natin nang ingles?

Puwede ba kaming magsulat nang pamatayan ingles? Kailangang natin nang ingles? Sa isip ko hindi natin kailangang. Sabe dao puwede tayo mag isip pag hindi natin alam paano mag usap. Kami ang pamamahagi sa lahat ng wika. Lahat nang tao merong filisofi. Hindi kailanang mag usap nang ingles. Kahit na merong ingles na libro sa eskuwela merong tagalog na libro rin. Lahat na libro na kailanging natin hidni Ingles. Pag meron tao atchkat nag iisip si la, merong filisofio.  Dati walang ingles. Yon libro na alam natin ay hindi ingles. Bago lang yon. Hindi kaialanging nang ingles pero mas ma hirap yon iba. Ang sa ingles ang gusali na ang pag iisip. Masma buti ang Taglog makipag usap na sa sulat. Ma hirap mag sulat na ma talino na filisofio sa Tagalog. Yong ingles mas ma buti sa mag sulat sa eskuwela. Atchacat mas ma galing and ingles sa mag usap na ma hirap na iisip. 

Writing in my standard tongue is actually quite weird and confusing. I grew up speaking Tagalog and continue to speak it at home everyday. Outside of home I don't really use Tagalog. I don't speak Tagalog to anyone besides my parents on a daily basis. So writing this was kind of weird for me. I've always spoken Tagalog. I can speak fluently, but this is my first time ever writing something in Tagalog. I was still able to communicate meaningful ideas but it was basic and much harder than Standard English. On the several trips I took to the Philippines, my Tagalog dramatically improved. Speaking it there was much different and easier than speaking here. I got a real sense of how my family lives over there by speaking it. We have normal conversations all the time but I've never had a deep philosophical conversation in Tagalog. I'm sure people have them, but over there most of my family spoke English too. They are required to take English in school. They learn how to speak and write fluently in English. I feel like English is much more easy to use to communicate. English has specific rules you have to follow so if you don't follow the pattern/structure, whatever you're saying doesn't make sense. In Tagalog, as well as other languages, this order doesn't matter. If you were to translate what I wrote in English the words would be all over the place and not in order. You would only understand if you spoke Tagalog. Also some of the words may not be able to be translated. There are over 70 different dialects of Tagalog. The one you use depends on where you live. Even though my parents are both from the Philippines, they grew up speaking a different language. This can be really confusing sometimes when one word means something else in a different dialect. Someone who speaks a different dialect could think I am trying to say a different word. This makes it hard/confusing to effectively communicate. There are many shortcuts and different ways to say one word. Although we don't need it, Standard English helps out a lot.

1 comment:

  1. It's really interesting how you are fluent in Tagalog. Of course, I wasn't able to understand the first part nor did I try because it is so unfamiliar to me. You could've mentioned how the language affects your identity a little more but overall, it was great.

    ReplyDelete